St. Nicholas’ Episcopal Church is a mission minded church on the west shore of Lake Tahoe. We are a people friendly, family friendly, pet friendly congregation.
The recorded history of the Episcopal Church in Tahoe City starts July 27, 1900 when The Very Reverend Edgar J Lion of the Diocese of California baptized two children and organized a Sunday School. Mr. Lion so advised the Bishop Moreland of the Missionary District of Sacramento. Within less than a month the Bishop and his wife came to the Lake Tahoe area, visiting with interested families in Tahoe City, Truckee, and Tallac.
On August 29th, he held evening services for St Stephen’s Mission, Tahoe City in the schoolhouse. Before he left he appointed officers of the Sunday School. In The Sacramento Missionary of 1903, Bishop Moreland described the area and reported that “A Sunday School has been formed at Tahoe City, and in a year or two we home to see a church erected from the contributions of summer visitors.